I’ve heard of Coron the first time when a colleague and friend mentioned it to me last year. We were thinking of a place to wander that time but unfortunately the airfare was too expensive for our budget.My luck came later this year when another friend informed me of an airline sale that would take only php 3000 for a round trip ticket to Coron. So on the 23rd day of a rainy September month, my sister and I went off to experience Coron for the first time.
Coron is a first class municipality in the province of Palawan that comprises the eastern half of Busuanga Island and Coron Island. Considered the largest island in the Calamian Islands of Palawan, it is frequented not only by local tourists but by foreign tourists as well because of it’s world famous beaches and diving sites.
We only had 3 days and 2 nights to experience Coron.Too little time to explore so many wonderful places.With the limited time that we had, we tried our best to make our first Coron trip as memorable and enjoyable as it could be.
Basically we only had an entire day to do island hopping so we chose the Ultimate Island Tour which includes 7 destinations for a day tour.
To summarize our 3 days 2 nights Coron experience you may see our itinerary & summary of expenses below.
- 10:35 AM – 11:15 AM – flight from Manila to Busuanga
- 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM – travel from Busuanga Airport to Coron town proper
- 12:15 PM – 4:30 PM – checked in at Backpacker’s Hotel, lunch, rest, booked island tour, wander around Coron town solo while waiting for sister’s arrival
- 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM – Mt. Tapyas (walked from Backpacker’s to Mt. Tapyas)
- 6:00 PM – 6:30 PM – Dinner
- 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM – Maquinit Hotspring
- 9:00 PM – 10:30 PM – back to town proper, bought food for breakfast and enjoyed Coron’s Baywalk
- 10:30 PM – 11:00 PM – went back to hotel
- 11:00 PM – lights out
- 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM – Ultimate Island Tour (Twin Lagoon, CYC Beach, Coral Garden, Atwayan Beach, Skeleton Wreck, Kayangan Lake, Siete Pecados)
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM – went back to hotel, washed up and rest
- 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM – dinner (walked from Backpacker’s to Kawayan Grill)
- 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM – went back to hotel
- 8:30 PM – lights out
- 5:30 AM – 6:30 AM – breakfast
- 6:30 AM – 12:15 PM – Concepcion Falls Busuanga with side trips to Concepcion Pier & Malbato Chapel
- 12:15 PM – 1:30 PM – back at town proper bought pasalubong, washed up, lunch
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM – travel back to airport
- 3:35 PM – flight back to Manila
Expenses (for 2 persons)
- Airfare (skyjet promo 3000RT) – 6000 (3000 x 2)
- Van (airport to coron town proper 150/way) – 600 (300 x 2)
- Tricycle to maquinit – 300 RT
- Tricycle to Concepcion falls rt w/sidetrip to Concepcion Pier & Malbato Chapel – 1500 RT
- Coron Backpackers 3d2n – 1000 (500 x 2)
- 1 hour extension at hotel – 50
Tour / Destination entance fees:
- Mount Tapyas – Free
- Maquinit Hotspring – 400 (200/head)
- Coron Ultimate Island Tour – 3000 (1500/head)
- Concepcion Falls – Free
- Concepcion Pier – Free
- Malbato Chapel – Free
TOTAL – php 12,850.00 (php 6425.00 / head)
Did not include our expenses for the Food but we tried Kawayan Grill (fresh seafood especially the tuna, the crocodile sisig was not so good for my taste though) & Big Mama’s (loved their mango shake). Basically cooked our meal for breakfast since Coron Backpacker’s Hotel offers free use of their kitchen also with free drinking water. And for the island tour, lunch was already included in the package.
Generally I could say Coron town is a safe place even for female travelers with friendly and accommodating people.
Prices for the tours are standardized and there are plenty of tour packages to choose from and plenty of tour operators.
Tagalog is widely spoken. Mode of transportation around town is tricycle that could accommodate 6 people at php10 per head for shorter destinations but one could actually walk around town with no hassle.
Will definitely go back to experience more of Coron and other neighboring islands. :):):)